When you click the Start button, the Start menu may appear to the right of the Start button instead of above it.
With the taskbar in the default position (along the bottom of the screen), the Start menu normally appears above the Start button. However, if the Start menu becomes too large to fit in the space above the Start button, the menu is moved to the right, where there is more room.
To remedy this situation, use any of the following methods:
Method 1If you are using large icons on the Start menu, you can fit more icons on the screen by switching to small icons. To switch to small icons, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Taskbar.
- Click the "Show small icons in Start menu" check box to select it.
- Click OK.
Method 2Increase the screen resolution so that more icons fit on the screen. To do so, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Display.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Move the Desktop Area slider to a higher resolution.
NOTE: If you have multiple monitors installed, first click the Monitors tab, and then double-click the monitor that contains the taskbar.
- Click OK.
Method 3Move icons off the Start menu into menus below the Start menu. To do this, follow these steps:
- Use the right mouse button to click the Start button, and then click Open on the menu that appears.
- Drag icons from the Start menu folder to the Programs folder.
Article ID: 164740 - Last Review: Oct 24, 2013 - Revision: 1