Internet Explorer may not appear on the Start menu after installation.
This behavior can occur if user profiles are enabled on the computer. When this occurs, a "The Internet" icon does appear on the desktop and works correctly for all profiles.
To determine whether user profiles are enabled, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Passwords.
- Click the User Profiles tab. If the "Users can customize their preferences and desktop settings. Windows switches to your personal settings whenever you log in" option is selected, user profiles are enabled.
- Right-click the "The Internet" icon on the desktop, and then click Create Shortcut. This creates an additional shortcut on the desktop.
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Taskbar.
- On the Start Menu Programs tab, click Advanced.
- Drag the shortcut you created in step 1 to the Programs folder.
- If you want to rename the shortcut, right-click the shortcut in the Programs folder, and then click Rename.
- In Windows Explorer, click Close on the File menu, and then click OK in the Taskbar Properties dialog box.
Article ID: 169788 - Last Review: Jun 22, 2014 - Revision: 1