Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.
When this occurs, you may see the following error message in the system log in Event Viewer:
Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Description: Spooler service failed to start due to the following
error: The system cannot find the file specified.
- If a Spoolss.dll file or a Spoolss.exe file already exists in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder, rename the file.
- At a command prompt, change to the <cd-rom>:\<platform> folder, where <cd-rom> is your CD-ROM drive and <platform> is the computer platform you are using. Use the I386 folder for Intel-based computers.
- To expand the Spoolss.dll file, type the following command:
expand spoolss.dl_ %SystemRoot%\system32\spoolss.dll
- To expand the Spoolss.exe file, type the following command:
expand spoolss.ex_ %SystemRoot%\system32\spoolss.exe
- Type exit, and then press ENTER.
- Restart your computer.
Article ID: 177785 - Last Review: Oct 31, 2006 - Revision: 1