- Double-click My Computer.
- On the View menu, click Folder Options.
- On the File Types tab, click the appropriate file type in the
Registered File Types box.
- Click Edit.
- Click to select the Confirm Open After Download check box.
- Click OK, and then click OK.
- Open this file from its current location
- Save this file to disk
- Always ask before opening this type of file
If the Always ask before opening this type of file check box is unavailable, there is no program associated with the file type. For example, if you download a file with a .zip extension, the check box is unavailable unless you have installed a program that can open .zip files.
For additional information about downloading .exe files with Internet Explorer, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 177976 - Last Review: Jun 22, 2014 - Revision: 1