When you try to increase the screen area in the Display Properties dialog box, you may be unable to choose a higher screen area. For example, your monitor may support a maximum screen area of 1600 X 1200 pixels, but this setting may be missing from the Screen Area box.
This behavior can occur if your monitor's Extended Identification Data (EDID) contains incorrect information about your monitor.
To resolve this issue, manually install your monitor. To do so, use these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double- click Display.
- Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
- Click the Monitor tab, click the "Automatically detect Plug & Play monitors" check box to clear it, and then click Apply.
- Click Change, click Next, click "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.
- Click Show All Hardware, and then follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing your monitor.