If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to view more articles that describe error messages:
315854 Windows 98 and Windows Me Error Message Resource Center
When your computer restarts after you run Windows 98 Setup, you may see the following error message:
While Initializing device CONFIGMG: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.
This behavior can occur because Windows Setup flushes the L2 Cache as it initializes the PCI-to-AGP Bridge on a Micro-Star International MSI-5169 motherboard.
To resolve this behavior, contact your computer manufacturer to inquire about the availability of a possible BIOS upgrade. If you already have the latest BIOS version for your computer, you may be able to work around this problem using one of the following methods:
- Disable the external (CPU or L2) cache in the CMOS. For information about how to do so, refer to the documentation included with your computer or contact your hardware manufacturer.
- If you are using an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) video adapter, try replacing the AGP video adapter with a Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) video adapter.
This error can also occur is the BIOS APM setting is incorrect. Use the following steps to resolve the APM issue:
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
- In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to System devices.
- Double-click Advanced Power Management support.
- On the Advanced Power Management support Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
- Click to select the Force APM 1.0 mode check box, and then click OK.
- Restart your computer in Normal mode.