If you choose not to convert during Setup, you may do so later using the Import and Export Wizard. Outlook provides a tool to assist you in converting Windows Address Book (WAB) information.
The Windows Address Book is used by the following products:
- Microsoft Internet Mail and News
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Internet Mail Only
Using the Outlook Import Export and WizardIn Outlook, you can use the Import and Export Wizard as the interface for Address Book conversion. To convert a WAB file, follow these steps:
- Start Outlook if it is not currently running.
- On the File menu, click Import and Export.
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses, and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Express 4.x, 5 from the list, and then click Next.
- Select the product for which you wish to convert items from the list, and then click Next.
- Select any combination of the Mail or Addresses from the items listed.
NOTE: With the exception of rules conversion from Outlook Express, the steps to convert addresses is the same.
- Click Next.
- Select a destination for the imported address data. The destination depends on the type of Outlook installation you selected initially.
- The Internet Mail Only installation of Outlook 98 allows only the Contacts folder as the destination.
- The Corporate or Workgroup option allows the options of Personal Address Book or Outlook Contacts.
- Select the appropriate duplicate items option. Click Finish to complete the import.
Share Outlook Contacts with Outlook ExpressYou can share Outlook contacts with Outlook Express if you have the Internet Mail Only option of Outlook installed. The option to do this is in a feature of the Windows Address Book.
- On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box type Wab, and then click OK.
- On the Address Book Tools menu, click Options.
- Select Share contact information among Microsoft Outlook and other applications, click OK, and then close the address book.
- Quit and restart Outlook Express for the changes to take effect.
Drag Address Information to OutlookIt is possible to move individual or groups of WAB entries to Outlook by dragging them. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Find, and then click Files And Folders. In the Open box type *.wab, and then click OK. Double-click the WAB file from which you wish to move addresses. Open Outlook if it is not already open.
- Resize Outlook so that the WAB and Outlook are visible next to each other on the screen. Ensure that the Outlook Contacts folder is visible in the resized Outlook window.
- Select an entry from the WAB. Drag it to the Contacts folder. A new Outlook Contact form will be created with the information from the WAB entry. Click Save and close.
Article ID: 196215 - Last Review: Sep 5, 2013 - Revision: 1