You are deploying Office 2007 within your enterprise organization. After you performed an inplace upgrade of an earlier version of Office to Office 2007, Word 2007 will not automatically migrate settings of your existing Normal.dot file.
Instead, the existing Normal.dot file will be renamed to Normal11.dot, and a blank new Normal.dotm file will be created and used.
Customizations to previous versions of Word do not automatically migrate to Office Word 2007 during installation. These customizations include:
- AutoText entries
- AutoCorrect entries
Many features relating to these customizations are significantly redesigned in Office Word 2007. Settings from earlier versions of Word do not automatically migrate to Office Word 2007. Users can take advantage of the new features more easily.
In previous versions of Word, customizations are stored in the Normal template (Normal.dot). This template stores customizations such as custom toolbars, default font changes, style customizations (including user-created styles), macros, AutoText, and AutoCorrect entries.
The installation process for Office Word 2007 renames Normal.dot to Normal11.dot.
The default for Office Word 2007 is the new Normal.dotm template.
By default, Normal11.dot and Normal.dotm are stored in the following location:
For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
If you are deploying Office 2007 within your enterprise organization follow these steps to automatically convert your existing Normal.dot file:
Use the Office Customization Tool to create a customization patch
- To launch the Office Customization Toolkit call the Setup with the /admin command line switch from your network installation point:
Go to Add registry keys and click on add.
- Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER as tree and REG_DWORD as Type.
- Enter the following key: Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options.
- Enter the following value name: MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot.
- Enter the following value data: 1
- Click OK to close the dialog.
- In the Office Customization Toolkit click File and Save As, then assign a name to the customization path and click Save to close the dialog.
- Close the Office Customization Tool by clicking File and Exit.
To install Office 2007 with the customization patch use the following command line option:
\\server\share\setup.exe /adminfile \\server\share\mychanges\custom.msp
If you have Office 2007 already installed on your machine and you want to convert an existing Normal11.dot, follow the steps below:
- Exit Office Word 2007 if it is currently open.
- In My Computer (or Computer if you are using Microsoft Windows Vista), navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData\Microsoft\Templates, or the appropriate directory if you specified an alternate location during installation.
- Right-click Normal.dotm, select Rename, and enter a name, such as Normal.old. Click Yes when the following message appears: "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"
- Right-click Normal11.dot, select Rename, and enter Normal.dot for the new filename. The next time you start Office Word 2007, Office Word 2007 converts and renames Normal.dot to Normal.dotm.
Your customizations should now be available in Office Word 2007.
For more information on the Office Customization Tool, visit the following Technet site.
For more information on migration for Word 2007, visit the following Technet site.
Migration considerations for Word 2007