When you install Microsoft SQL Server 2008, the setup program may repeatedly prompt you to restart the computer.
- You must perform the following procedure before your apply the solution that's documented in this section. Failure to do so will cause an unstable and unsupported installation.
- The SkipRules parameter for setup is not a documented feature. You should not use this parameter to skip any rules except the Engine_SqlEngineHealthCheck rule unless Microsoft CSS advises you to.
1) Note the entries for the PendingFileRenameOperations operations registry subkey found in the following location:
If the list is too long you can use export the contents of the above key to a text file and then use it in your comparisons.
2) Reboot the server one more time as prompted.
3) Check the files under PendingFileRenameOperations and confirm that they match the list from Step 1.
4) If they do not match, you need to repeat steps 1 through 3 till the list (from Step 1) either remains unchanged or is empty.
To resolve the problem after you perform this procedure, you can skip the RebootRequiredCheck rule by using the /SkipRules parameter in the command. For example, type the following command:
Setup.exe /SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck /Action= <Action name>
Note Specifying the Action parameter in this command is required for setup to complete successfully.
Article ID: 2008982 - Last Review: Jun 9, 2015 - Revision: 1