- As part of SQL Server 2008 installation.
- As part of installing Visual Studio 2008 or later versions.
- Downloading it from the Microsoft downloads site.
For further information refer to Installing SQL Server Compact topic in SQL Server 2008 Books Online.
This article describes how to uninstall SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 from a machine where the SQL Server Compact functionality is not needed.
There are two SQL Server Compact related components that gets installed by SQL Server 2008:
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact runtime (SSCERuntime.msi)
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact Query tools (SSCESqlWbTools.msi)
You can uninstall both these components using either of the following methods.
- Use Control Panel’s Add or Remove Programs applet or Programs and Features (in Windows Vista and Windows 7) to remove these programs.
- Since SQL Server Compact’ MSIs are based on Windows Installer technology you can also use the Msiexec from command line to uninstall these components.
For example, the following command line will uninstall SQL Compact runtime .msi :
- msiexec /x ssceruntime_enu.msi
You can run msiexec /? on a command line to see the complete list of options.
Note: After you uninstall these SQL Server Compact components, you will no longer be able to interact with SQL Server Compact databases from SQL Server Management Studio on that system.
- SQL Server 2008 Books Online topics on “SQL Server Compact”
- 907749 Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer
- 955965 Description of SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1
Article ID: 2015126 - Last Review: Feb 15, 2010 - Revision: 1