- You receive one of the following errors:
- "Your changes could not be saved to '[filename]' because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file." which may also be followed by additional errors "The file you are trying to open, '[8RandomCharacters]', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?"
- "The document was saved successfully, but Excel cannot re-open it because of a sharing violation. Please close the document and try to open it again."
- You are running Windows 7
- You are using an Office 2007 application to save a file to:
- The Desktop or a Folder located on the Desktop
- or to a Folder which you also have a Windows Explorer window open to
To reduce the frequency of the issue you can use the following Workarounds:
- Move the files off of the desktop and out of Folders located on the Desktop
- In Windows Explorer turn off the Details Pane
- Unselect 'Details Pane' on the Organize menu under Layout.
- Close the Windows Explorer window which contains the files you are working with.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. Microsoft is working on a solution for this issue.