Consider the following scenario:
- You are currently running a SQL Server instance prior to SQL Server 2005 on your system.
- You install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 or later on this system.
- You try to upgrade your SQL Server instance to SQL Server 2005 (any edition).
In this scenario, the upgrade process may fail with the error message below:
- SQL BPA command line has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- If you are in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Use the following procedure to workaround the problem:
- Create a file named bpacmd.exe.config with the following text
- <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
- <probing privatePath="bin"/>
- Copy bpacmd.exe.config file to the following location:
- Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/90/Setup Bootstrap/BPA
- Retry the upgrade operation.