This article applies only to a Microsoft Access database (.mdb).
- You are trying to open a database or an object in a database that was created in another language edition of Microsoft Access.
- You are trying to open a database that was created or compacted while the New Database Sort Order was set to a value other than General.
- Open an existing database that was not created or compacted while the Sort Order was set to a value other than General. For example, open the sample database Northwind.mdb.
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
- Make sure that the New Database Sort Order is set to General and then click OK.
If you are receiving the errors described in the "Symptoms" section, setting the New Database Sort Order back to General does not resolve the problem; however, it prevents the problem from occurring with new databases.
NOTE: Even if you install multilanguage support, you cannot open a database if it requires a code page that is not supported by your operating system.
To install multilanguage support in Windows 95/98 or Windows NT, please follow the steps in one of the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
NOTE: This feature is included in the CD-ROM version of Windows 95, but not in the floppy disk version. If you are using the floppy disk version of Windows 95 and you want to enable multilanguage support, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 202150 - Last Review: Aug 6, 2004 - Revision: 1