On opening Disk Management console on Windows Server 2003 it returns a dialog box with error:
At the bottom of the console you'll see the reported status as:
Unable to connect to Logical Disk Management Service
This problem can occur for either of the following reasons.
- The Logical Disk Manger and the Virtual Disk Service are not running on the Local System Account
- DCOM Permissions are incorrect under COM Security
To resolve this problem:
Verify that the Logical Disk Manager and the Virtual Disk Service are running on the Local System Account
To verify that the Logical Disk Manger and the Virtual Disk Service are running on the Local System Account:
1. Click Start , point to Administrative Tools , and then click Services.
2. Right-click Logical Disk Manager, and then click Properties .
3. Click the Log On tab.
4. In the "Log on as" section, ensure the Local system account is selected and the allow service to interact with desktop is unchecked
5. Once verified click OK
6. Repeat the previous steps for the Virtual Disk Service and then close the services console.
Verify the DCOM Permissions under COM Security tab with the following
To Verify the DCOM Permissions:
1. Click Start , click Run , type dcomcnfg , and then click OK .
2. Expand Component Services , and then expand Computers .
3. Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .
4. On the COM Security tab, click Edit default under Access Permissions
5. Verify if the SELF and SYSTEM accounts are listed under Group and user names
6. Both SELF and SYSTEM accounts should have allow checked only for Local Access
7. Once verified click OK
8. Click Edit default under Launch and Activation Permissions
9. Verify the SELF and SYSTEM accounts are listed under Group and user names
10. Both SELF and SYSTEM accounts should have allow checked for the following permissions:
• Local Launch
• Remote Launch
• Local Activation
• Remote Activation
11. Once verified click OK, and then click Ok and close the Dcom properties window.
Once verified and corrected try and access disk management through its console.
Article ID: 2023404 - Last Review: May 6, 2010 - Revision: 1