Additionally, this warning message may contain one of the following validation error codes:
- Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packs are installed that provide additional display languages.
- You have one of the following editions of Windows 7 installed:Starter
To determine whether these conditions are present on your computer, follow these steps:
Step 1: Determine the Windows Edition
- Click Start.
- Right-click Computer.
- Click Properties.
Step 2: Determine whether an MUI pack is installed
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, click Continue.
- Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages
- If more than one language appears under this subkey, an MUI pack is installed. For more information, see the "Resolution" section.
- If only one language appears under this subkey, or the current operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise, the information that is provided in this article will not resolve your issue. In this case, for more information about genuine Windows 7, please visit the following Microsoft website:
Method 1If a third-party program was used to install the MUIs, you can use the same program to uninstall the MUIs. After you uninstall the MUIs, restart the computer, and then revalidate the operating system at the following Microsoft website:
Method 2If you cannot locate or use the third-party program to uninstall the MUI, and you need help, contact Microsoft Support. An agent can help you determine whether an MUI is installed on your computer and how to uninstall it.
- In some circumstances, a language interface pack (LIP) can be installed. For more information, visit the following Microsoft website:
- Use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WUA) to upgrade your version of Windows 7 to Windows 7 Ultimate or to Windows 7 Enterprise. These versions can install MUI packs. For more information, visit the following Microsoft website:
- Purchase the operating system in your required language. If you find that you must do this, you may be eligible for a refund for your current version of Windows. For more refund information, visit the following Microsoft website:
For more information about the update for Windows Activation Technologies, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
971033 Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
Article ID: 2105247 - Last Review: Oct 14, 2010 - Revision: 1