To resolve this error message, start your computer in Safe mode, and then follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
- Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
- Click the Adapter tab, and then click Change.
- Click Next, click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want, and then click Next.
- Click Show All Devices.
- In the Manufacturers box, click Standard Display Types.
- In the Models box, click Standard Display Adapter (VGA), click OK, and then click Next.
- Click Next, click Next, and then click Finish.
- Click Close, click Close again, and then click No when you are prompted to restart your computer.
- In Control Panel, double-click Add/remove Programs, and then remove any third-party display utilities by clicking the utility on the Install/Uninstall tab, clicking Add/Remove, and then following the instructions on your screen.
- Using Registry Editor, delete the display manufacturer's folder (if it exists) in the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\Display\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers
- You should also delete the following two keys after uninstalling Diamond InControl Tools:Hkey_local_machine/software/Diamond Multimedia
- Quit Registry Editor and restart your computer.
- After uninstalling Diamond InControl Tools, extract a new copy of the Deskw95.cpl file from your original Windows 98 CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder. Rename the extracted file to Desk.cpl.
For information about how to extract files, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
- Install the appropriate video drivers included with Windows 98 or obtain the latest drivers from the manufacturer.