- Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.
- At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.
- At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
- Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.
- When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.
Article ID: 221512 - Last Review: May 7, 2007 - Revision: 1