To manually configure the Worker Process Identity (WPI) for application pools in IIS, follow these steps.
For IIS 6.0
- In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand Application Pools, right-click the application pool, and then select Properties.
- Click the Identity tab, and then click Configurable. In the User name and Password text boxes, type the user name and password of the account under which you want the worker process to operate.
- Add the selected user account to the IIS_WPG group.
- At an elevated command prompt, open the following folder: %systemroot%\system32\inetsrv
For more information about how to run a command with elevated privileges, visit the following Microsoft Web page:
Type the APPCMD.exe commands, and press ENTER after each command:appcmd set config /section:applicationPools /Note You must adjust the syntax in the commands, depending on the following:
- string is the name of the application pool
- userName is the user name of the account that is assigned to the application pool
- password is the password for the account
Article ID: 2264072 - Last Review: Jun 10, 2011 - Revision: 1