There may be times when it is necessary to configure the server service during a scripted, or unattended install.
- In Control Panel, double-click Network.
- On the Services tab, click the Server service, and then click Properties.
- There are four configuration options for the Server service listed here:
- Minimize Memory Used
- Maximize Throughput for File Sharing
- Maximize Throughput for Network Applications
When you configure one of the four options for the Server service, the information is saved to the following two registry keys:
2 = Balance
3 = Maximize Throughput for File Sharing and Maximize Throughput for Network Applications
Your choices for this registry key are 0 and 1.
0 = Maximize Throughput for Network Applications
0 = Indicates that the computer does not go outside its cache pool and use program memory to perform I/O functions.
1 = Indicates that the computer looks outside of its cache pool and uses program memory to perform I/O functions. This occurs if the cache is full.
The Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit contains a tool called Regini.exe, which can be used to script changes to the registry. For information about this tool, please refer to the Regini.doc file or type regini /? at the command prompt.
Article ID: 232271 - Last Review: Sep 5, 2012 - Revision: 1