· You have a Windows 7 or Vista system running on a laptop with Hotstart buttons
· There is a policy set in Group Policy to disable Autoplay on all drives
In this scenario, the Hotstart buttons do not function
There are three options: “Not Configured”, “Enabled”, and “Disabled” in the “Turn off Autoplay”.
When selecting “Enabled”, you need to select “CD-ROM and removable media drives” to allow HotStart to function.
By selecting this option, the Autoplay registry value is set to “0xB5”, and fixed and RAM drives are the only ones still enabled. Any other drives: unknown types, removable drives, network drives, and CD-ROM drives are disabled.
How to open Group Policy settings as follows:
1. Click Start , type Gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Autoplay Policies.
3. In the Details pane, double-click Turn off Autoplay.
If you are experiencing this on a system that has been joined to a domain, you will need to contact the domain administrator for assistance. Your system settings synchronize to the domain server.
For operating systems that do not include Gpedit.msc and for an optional resolution, you can directly check and change the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry value in the following registry key other than 0xFF.
For more information on disabling specific Autorun features, please see the following knowledge base article: