An error occurred during encryption.
- The Network Service account does not have permissions on the following folder:
For Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 operating systems the path is
For all other operating systems, the path is
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect
- NAME COLLISION error when installing SQL Server on FAT partitions
- Open My Computer.
- Type C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft in the address bar, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the Protect folder, and then click Properties.
- In the folder Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
- Under Group or user names, determine whether NETWORK SERVICE is listed. If NETWORK SERVICE is not listed, follow these steps to add this account:
- Click Add to show the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Click Locations, select your computer name in the Locations dialog box, and then click OK to return to the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Type Network Service in the Enter the object names to select box, and then click Check Names.
- Click OK to close the Select Users or Groups dialog box.
- Click NETWORK SERVICE under Group or user names, and then click to select the Allow check box for Full Control under Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE.
- Click OK to close the folder Properties dialog box.
- Click Retry in the error message dialog box to continue to install SQL Server Express Edition or SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services.
Note: Though the blog post refers to SQL Server 2005, the same resolution applies to SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 environments.
The same error could also occur in SQL Server 2005 environments. For further information refer to the following KB article:
- 920114Error message when you try to install SQL Server Express or SQL Server Express Edition or SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services: "The SQL Server service failed to start"
Article ID: 2387754 - Last Review: Aug 25, 2010 - Revision: 1