Migration of a virtual machine from one Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Failover Cluster to another fails. Both Failover Clusters are managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 (SCVMM).
VMM cannot complete the WMI operation on server Contoso.LOCAL because of error: [MSCluster_ResourceGroup.Name="2068e895-4930-42be-a4c8-152ab15a28b8"] The cluster group could not be found.
(The cluster group could not be found (0x1395))
Resolve the issue and then try the operation again.
SCVMM 2008 R2 attempts to execute an operation on the source host (of the source cluster) using the resources names and GUIDS of the destination cluster. Migration will always fail right after the BITS migration when the virtual machine is placed in a saved state.
This issue can only be reproduced under these conditions:
- VM is created using Hyper-V
- VM is made into an HA VM using the Failover Cluster GUI (resource name will be called something like “Virtual Machine <vmname>”)
- VM is in a running state
- VM is migrated to a different cluster. VMM will chose Quick Storage Migration with network migration in this case
There are two different workarounds for this issue.
1. Perform the migration when the virtual machine is in a saved state or powered down.
2. Use the Failover Cluster Manager User Interface to locate the virtual machine in "Services and Applications". Right click the top resource group for this virtual machine and change the Resource Name from "Virtual Machine <vmname>" to "SCVMM <vmname>". Then refresh the virtual machine in SCVMM PowerShell using the "refresh-vm -force '<vmname>'" cmdlet. The virtual machine can now be migrated while in a running state.
Article ID: 2397370 - Last Review: Sep 2, 2010 - Revision: 1