- You are running a version of Windows 7 or of Windows Server 2008 R2 that was installed by using an Unattend.xml file.
- You start the computer from this image, and then you select the Repair in-place upgrade (overwrite installation) option.
- You start the in-place upgrade.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
When this behavior occurs, you cannot recover the system. Therefore, you must perform a clean installation.
To avoid this behavior, you can remove a registry subkey before you use the OEM installation image to run an in-place upgrade. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log on to the computer by using a user account that has administrative permissions.
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start search box, and then in the Programs list, click regedit.exe.
- Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UnattendBackup\ActiveSetup\FavoritesList\Favorite<XX>Note In this subkey, <XX> is a placeholder for numbers that begin with 1.
- Click Delete, click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 2425962 - Last Review: Dec 29, 2010 - Revision: 1