For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
Outlook Express 5 may download the same e-mail message multiple times.
This behavior can occur when you have multiple e-mail accounts on the same POP3 server, and one account is configured to remove e-mail messages from the server and another is configured to leave e-mail messages on the server.
To work around this issue, configure all POP3 accounts to either leave a copy of the e-mail messages on the server or delete the e-mail messages from the server after the messages are downloaded. To do so, use the following steps:
- In Outlook Express, click Tools, and then click Accounts.
- On the Mail tab, click the mail account, and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab in the Delivery section, click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, and then choose the appropriate option for removing the messages from the server.NOTE: If you want to download all your messages to your computer, click to clear the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.
- Click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for each e-mail account listed.
For additional information about how Outlook Express tracks downloaded messages, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
216366 OLEXP: How to Download Internet Mail Messages in Outlook Express
Article ID: 245620 - Last Review: Jan 24, 2007 - Revision: 1