- Word document (.doc or .docx)
- Excel (.xls or .xlsx)
- PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx)
- The file icon is blank or displays an incorrect image.
- The file does not open.
- You receive this error:This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.
- You receive this error:<file name> not a valid Win32 Application
- Click Start.
- For Windows XP, click Run and then click in the Open box.
- For Windows Vista, click in the Start Search box.
- For Windows 7, click in the Search programs and files box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and then click OK.
- Check the list of currently installed programs for multiple installations of the Microsoft Office suite.
If there are multiple installations of Microsoft Office installed on the computer we recommend that you follow the steps that are listed in Method 2 of this section. If there is only one installation of Microsoft Office on the computer, follow the steps that are listed in Method 1 of this section. Only follow the steps that are listed in Method 3 if you still experience the problem after you have attempted the first two methods or you have installed Microsoft Office Trial suite.
For more information about Microsoft Office Click-to-Run and file associations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
If you have followed the steps in this article, and you are still receiving the same error messages listed in the Symptoms section of this article, you may have permissions problems with your registry.
Since it may not be possible to know what caused or led to the permissions problems, we suggest you consider restoring Windows to a previous state.
Restore system files and settings (Windows 7)
How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
If your Excel files are still not opening, but the error has stopped after following these steps, you may have an additional problem to resolve.
We suggest you also check the content provided in this article: