- You install Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 on a computer.
- You publish Exchange Server 2010 by using Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010.
- You use a Microsoft Outlook Web App (OWA) 2010 client to connect to the server.
Note This issue does not occur in the following two situations:
- You use an OWA 2010 client to connect to the computer directly when Forefront TMG 2010 is bypassed.
- You use an OWA 2010 light client or an OWA 2007 client that is published by Forefront TMG 2010 to connect to the Exchange server.
The new functionality sends HTTP requests even when the client is idle. The client sends a keepalive request (/owa/keepalive.owa), and then the client sends more information about the activity of the user by adding the following path of the published OWA URL:
When an OWA 2010 client connects to the CAS directly instead of through Forefront TMG 2010, the CAS times out the connection caused by inactivity by using this parameter. When Forefront TMG 2010 continuously receives this request, and when Exchange Server 2010 is published by using Forefront TMG 2010, the UA parameter is not recognized by Forefront TMG 2010. Therefore, inactivity time is not recognized.
Update informationTo resolve this issue, install the software update that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article:
Article ID: 2478286 - Last Review: Dec 24, 2010 - Revision: 1