- a publishing site or a site that has the ‘ViewFormPagesLockDown’ feature enabled
- the site is configured for anonymous access
- the site contains a document library
- the document library contains a file with extension .XLSX (Excel 2007 or higher format)
- an anonymous user double-clicks on the .XLSX to open it
Sharepoint tries to open the file using XL Web Service. The user sees the message "Operation in Progress", and then receive
"Excel Web Access
An error has occured."
Break permission inheritance on the Document Library.
NOTE: Disabling the "ViewFormPagesLockDown" feature allows anonymous users to have view source rights to certain files that could potentially contain sensitive info.
Disable the "ViewFormPagesLockDown" feature on the site collection using stsadm
NOTE: Giving anonymous "OpenItems" permission allows anonymous users to have view source rights to certain files that could potentially contain sensitive info.
Programmatically give "OpenItems" permission to the SPWeb to anonymous users. Note that you should only do this if you understand & accept the security implications. The sample script below can be used to add the "Open Items" permission:
$siteUrl = "http://URL_of_your_SITE";
$site = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite($siteurl);
$web = $site.OpenWeb();
$enumPerms = [Microsoft.SharePoint.SPBasePermissions];
$web.AnonymousPermMask64 = $web.AnonymousPermMask64 -bor $enumPerms::OpenItems
Article ID: 2498047 - Last Review: Apr 7, 2015 - Revision: 1