Methods 1: Change device installation setting
- Click Start, type devices and printers in the search box, and then click Devices and Printers.
- All the devices connected to the computer are listed, including monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, and so on.
Under Devices, right-click the icon for the computer, and then click Device installation settings.
- A new window pops up asking you whether you want Windows to download driver software.
Click to select No, let me choose what to do, select Never install driver software from Windows update, and then click Save Changes.
- Click Yes when you are prompted for confirmation.
Methods 2: Configure group policy settingsNote This method only applies to Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise.
- Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the search box, and then press ENTER. This step opens the Local Group Policy Editor.
(Click Yes if you are prompted.)
- Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Device Installation, and then click Device Installation Restrictions.
In the right window, double-click Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings.
- Click to select Enabled, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.