To resolve this problem, use one or more of the following methods.
Method 1: Use Outlook on the webTry to delete the item in Outlook on the web. If you can't delete it in Outlook on the web, go to the next method.
Note If you can't complete a task in Outlook but you can complete it in Outlook on the web, this might mean that Outlook has to be updated.
Method 2: Use the Search-Mailbox cmdletUse the Search-Mailbox cmdlet to search for and remove the item. For more information, see Search and delete messages.
Method 3: Run Outlook commandsDepending on the kind of item that you're trying to remove, you can use the following command line switches to remove the item.
Caution Exit Outlook before you run any of these switches.
- Click Start, enter outlook /cleanreminders in the search box, and then press Enter.
- Click Start, enter outlook /cleandmrecords in the search box, and then press Enter.
For more information about these switches, see Command-line switches for Outlook for Windows.
Method 4: Delete the message after you edit it
- In Outlook, double-click the email message.
- In the Move group in the message ribbon, click Actions, and then click Edit Message.
- Remove some characters from the message, or add characters to it.
- Click File, and then save the message.
- Try to delete the message again.
Method 5: Empty the Deleted Items folderIn Outlook, delete all items that are in the Deleted Items folder, and then try to delete the meeting request or message.
Method 6: Delete the meeting reminders by using the MFCMAPI editorThe following steps show how to remove a meeting reminder that still appears even after the original meeting is removed. This typically occurs if the meeting reminder is corrupted.
Note Although the MFCMAPI editor is supported by Exchange Online, use caution when you make changes to mailboxes by using this tool. Using the MFCMAPI editor incorrectly can cause permanent damage to a mailbox.
Note The exact steps may vary, depending on the version of MFCMAPI that you're using.
- Install MFCMAPI editor. It's available from the following Microsoft CodePlex MFCMAPI website:
- In Outlook, click the Send/Receive tab.
- In the Preferences group, click Work Offline, and then exit Outlook.
- Double-click the MFCMapi.exe file to start the MFCMAPI editor.
- On the Session menu, click Logon and Display Store Table.
- Right-click the mail profile that you want to change, and then click Open Store.
- Expand Root-Mailbox, expand Finder, and then double-click Reminders.
- Locate the recurring appointment by sorting the Subject column or the To column.
- Right-click the appointment, and then click Delete Message.
- In the Delete Item dialog box, select one of the permanent deletion options, and then click OK.
- Click Start, type outlook.exe /cleanreminders in the search box, and then press Enter.
- If you're prompted, select your profile to start Outlook.
Article ID: 2503266 - Last Review: Jan 24, 2017 - Revision: 5