Home users: Please don’t try this at home! This article is intended for use by support agents and IT professionals. If you're looking for more information about Windows Update or Microsoft Update errors, go to the following Microsoft websites:
- You cannot view Windows roles or features.
- A service pack installation fails.
- When you try to connect to the Windows Update or Microsoft Update website, one of the following error codes is logged in the Windows Update log (windowsupdate.log) or in the Component Based Servicing log (CBS.log):
- The Windows Update database is corrupted.
- Antivirus software is configured to scan the %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
- The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service does not receive a content link header.
- A required system file is registered incorrectly.
- Windows Installer encountered an error.
- The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.
- The Windows Update service stops during the installation process.
- There's a file version conflict with Windows Update agent files.
Article ID: 2509997 - Last Review: Jan 10, 2017 - Revision: 1