- You try to attach a data source to a Word document in Microsoft Office Word 2007.
- The mail merge data source is an Excel file (*.xls or *.xlsx).
- The mail merge data source is located in a network folder.
- The connection method is Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Modify the regisrty. To do this follow these steps:
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Internet
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type BackgroundFileLoadExcel, and then press Enter.
- Click Edit, click Modify, and make sure that the value for BackgroundFileLoadExcel is 0 (zero).
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
- Save the Excel data source file on local computer.
- Start the Excel data source file first, and then open the Word mail merge main document.
- Use a different connection method to connect to the Excel data source file. For example, use OLE DB.
Article ID: 2514813 - Last Review: Apr 27, 2011 - Revision: 1