- You install Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
- You install the DNS Server role.
- You turn on the Allow Zone Transfers setting in the DNS Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in.
- You configure zone transfers to specific servers.
- You turn off the Allow Zone Transfers setting.
Method 1: Modify the registry
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Delete the following registry value after you turn off the Allow Zone Transfers setting:
Method 2: Use Dnscmd.exe
Use the following Dnscmd.exe command to disable zone transfers:
Article ID: 2514953 - Last Review: Mar 4, 2011 - Revision: 1