Consider the following scenario:
• You have a failover cluster that is running Windows Server 2008
• You have a large amount of files under the root folder of the cluster shared disk. For example, several thousand files.
• You try to bring the disk online
In this scenario, the disk fails to come online and shows a status of Online Pending.
The issue occurs because the cluster resource dll (clusres.dll) tries to open every file under the root folder of the cluster disk during the cluster disk online process. If there are too many files, the online process will time out and the disk resource will fail to come online.
To work around the issue:
1. Do not store large amounts of files in the root folder.
2. Set the Physical Disk private property DiskRunChkDsk to a property of 4 (ChkDskDontRun). This will disable volume mount checks. To do this, run the following command:
Cluster <ClusterName> /Res <Resource Name> /Priv DiskRunCHKDSK=4
This is the call stack when the issue occurs:
Child-SP RetAddr Call Site
00000000`0086eb78 00000000`76fdd23c ntdll!ZwCreateFile+0xa
00000000`0086eb80 000007fe`f6dc7847 kernel32!CreateFileW+0x26c
00000000`0086ecd0 000007fe`f6dc7293 clusres!HardDiskpVerifyVolumeInternal+0x2a7
00000000`0086efc0 000007fe`f6dc3a96 clusres!HardDiskpVerifyVolume+0x43
00000000`0086f250 000007fe`fa972a88 clusres!ResHardDiskOnlineThread+0x1012
00000000`0086f800 00000000`76fd495d resutils!ClusWorkerStart+0x3c
00000000`0086f850 00000000`77108791 kernel32!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
00000000`0086f880 00000000`00000000 ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d
2003834 Disabling CHKDSK from running automatically on a Disk resource in 2008 Cluster
SOS081231700002 Windows 2008 cluster disk is stuck in the "online pending"
Article ID: 2517696 - Last Review: May 3, 2011 - Revision: 1