In addition, Microsoft Outlook Express may take a long time to start.
- The AutoComplete history may be corrupted.
- The Pstores.exe and associated .dll files may be corrupted or their versions may be incorrect.
- The ProtectedStorage registry key may have incorrect parameters.
Clear Forms and Passwords Information in the AutoComplete HistoryTo clear forms and passwords information in the AutoComplete settings in Internet Explorer:
- Start Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Content tab, click AutoComplete.
- Click Clear Forms, click Clear Passwords, and then click OK.
Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage ValueImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Export and then delete the ProtectedStorage key from the following:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.
- Type the following command:c:\windows\system\pstores.exe -installThis command replaces the correct ProtectedStorage registry key.
- Quit all programs and restart the computer.