The Activation Key was not found in the database. Most likely the Activation key has been entered incorrectly.
- The Activation Key is entered incorrectly.
- The set of numbers that you entered belongs to another product or is not a product key.
- Verify that you are typing the product key and that you are not typing one of these other numbers:
- The CD set number
- The disc assembly number
- The part number
Important The product key contains 25 characters. When you enter the product key, do not enter dashes or hyphens.
- The product key location differs based on the kind of product that you purchased. If you purchased a boxed product, the 25-character product key is located inside the disc case or on the back of the disc sleeve on a rectangular orange label that is included with the installation media.
If you purchased the product through Games for Windows Marketplace, the product key is located on the Download page. Click to select the game. Go to the More Information section in this article on how to locate your product key.
The number is displayed in the following format:
PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
- Retype the product key. Make sure that you type the correct characters. The following characters are frequently mistaken for one another:
- B and 8
- G and 6
- U and V
- Q and O
- The letter O and the number 0 (zero)
- The letter Z and the number 2 (two)
- The letter I and the number 1 (one)
- The letter L and the number 1
- Verify that you are using the product key together with the correct product. Product keys work only for the product to which the product key is assigned. For example, make sure that you are not typing a product key for Windows or Office or another Microsoft game.
If this does not resolve your issue, click Activate Manually and contact LIVE customer support.
You may need to send a screen shot of your Activation key.
If you have downloaded the product from Games for Windows Marketplace follow these steps:
- Press the Print Screen button (PrtScn or PrtSc) located above the Delete key, depending on your keyboard.
- Click Start, click Programs or All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Paint.
- On the Edit menu, click Paste.
- On the File menu, click Save, and then save this file as SerialNumber.jpg.
If you have a boxed product, take a picture of the product key with your cellular phone or camera. The 25-character product key is located inside the disc case or on the back of the disc sleeve on a rectangular orange label that is included with the installation media. Transfer the picture to your computer and then save the picture as SerialNumber.jpg.
Article ID: 2547336 - Last Review: Jul 28, 2014 - Revision: 1