- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
- On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
- Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
- If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
- Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
- Restart the computer.
The desktop may also be blank if your computer is configured for multiple monitors and the icons are on a portion of the desktop that is outside the viewable range. Check the properties for the video adapter, and then click Settings. If two monitors are displayed, but only one is in use, click the first monitor, and then check the settings. If the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box is selected, click to clear the check box, and then click Apply. The icons should then reappear.
Article ID: 256194 - Last Review: Dec 16, 2009 - Revision: 1