This article describes how to install the Microsoft IntelliPoint software and the Microsoft mice and devices that are listed in the "Applies To" section.
To install a Microsoft mouse, install the IntelliPoint software. Then, connect the mouse to the computer. To do this, use the following methods in the order in which they appear.
Install the IntelliPoint SoftwareTo install the IntelliPoint software, use one of the following methods.
Download from the InternetTo download and install the latest version of the IntelliPoint software, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- On the list, select your device.
- In the other fields, select the appropriate options.
- Click Go.
- Click the software link to download the software.
- Click Run this program from its current location, and then click OK.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the IntelliPoint software.
- Restart the computer.
Install the software from the CDTo install the IntelliPoint software from the CD that is included with your pointing mouse, follow these steps.
Note If you did not receive a CD, or if you cannot find the dusk, follow the "Download from the Internet" steps instead.
- Insert the Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup CD into your CD drive.
If IntelliPoint Setup does not start automatically, use one of the following methods:
- Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- Click Start.
- Iin the Start Search box, type the following command line: drive:\setupNote In this command, drive represents the drive letter for your CD drive.
- Windows XP
Note In this command, drive represents the drive letter for your CD drive.
- Click Start.
- Click Run.
- In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
- Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- Follow the instructions to install the IntelliPoint software.
- Restart your computer.
Install a Microsoft mouseTo install a Microsoft mouse, use the appropriate method for your pointing device.
Connect a Universal Serial Bus (USB) IntelliMouse to the computerTo connect a USB IntelliMouse mouse to your computer, follow these steps:
- Start the computer.
- If the PS/2 adapter is connected to the USB connector on your IntelliMouse mouse, remove it.
- Locate an available USB port on your computer or USB hub.
- Plug the USB connector for your IntelliMouse pointing device into an available USB port on your computer or on a USB hub that is connected to your computer.
- Follow the instructions to install and configure the IntelliMouse pointing device.
Connect a PS/2 mouse to a serial port on your computerTo connect a PS/2 mouse to a 9-pin serial port on your computer, follow these steps:
- Turn off the computer.
- To connect one of the following PS/2 mice to a 9-pin serial port on your computer, connect the serial adapter to the PS/2 connector for your mouse:
- Microsoft IntelliMouse
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball
- Microsoft Wheel Mouse
- Plug the serial adapter for your mouse into the rectangular 9-pin serial port on the back of the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- Follow the instruction to install and configure the mouse.
Connect a Microsoft wireless mouse to the computerTo connect a Microsoft wireless mouse to the computer, follow these steps:
- On the bottom of the Microsoft wireless mouse, open and remove the battery compartment door.
- Insert two fresh batteries into the battery compartment. Make sure that you point the positive (+) ends of the batteries toward the positive contacts in the battery compartment.
Note Batteries are included with a Microsoft wireless mouse.
- Replace and close the battery compartment door.
- Plug the receiver into a USB port.
Note We recommend that you use a port on the computer, not a port on an external USB Hub.
- Follow the instructions to configure your IntelliMouse mouse.
Article ID: 258785 - Last Review: Oct 12, 2013 - Revision: 1
Microsoft IntelliType Pro 7.0, Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1, Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.0, Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.1, Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.0, Microsoft Arc Mouse, Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse, Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000, Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000, Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse, Microsoft Explorer Mouse, Microsoft Explorer Mini Mouse, Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000, Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse 8000, Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000, Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse, Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000, Microsoft Presenter 3000, Microsoft SideWinder Mouse, Microsoft Wired Desktop 500, Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint Reader, Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth, Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000, Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v2.0, Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 7000, Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000, Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000, Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000, Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000, Microsoft Wireless Wheel Mouse, Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000, Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000