Consider the following scenario. You are using Internet Explorer 9 on a Windows 7-based computer to connect to a website that requires client certificates. The website resides in an Internet Explorer security zone that does not have protected mode enabled. When you browse to the site, you are prompted to choose a client certificate to send to the website. If you click the “Click here to view certificate properties” link in the Confirm Certificate or the Select Certificate Windows Security dialog box, Internet Explorer becomes unresponsive.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section, and we are currently investigating the problem. More details will be published in this article after they become available.
To work around this problem, enable protected mode for the zone that the website belongs to. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Internet Explorer 9, and then connect to the website that requires a client certificate.
- Select a valid client certificate, and then click OK when the Confirm Certificate (or Select Certificate) Windows Security dialog box appears.
IMPORTANT Do not select the Click here to view certificate properties link in this dialog box.
- Press the Alt key to show Internet Explorer’s menu bar, and then click File –> Properties menu.
- Note the zone name that's displayed in the Zone area in the Properties dialog box.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
- Click Start, type Internet Options in the Start Search box, and then click Internet Options in the Programs list.
- Click the Security tab, and then click the zone name that you noted in step 4.
- Select the Enabled Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer) check box, and then click OK.
Note This change is not effective if User Account Control is turned off or if it's not set at the Default level. Also, changing the User Account Control setting requires a reboot.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Article ID: 2598670 - Last Review: Apr 29, 2014 - Revision: 1
Windows Internet Explorer 9, Windows 7 Service Pack 1