- A user mailbox on Exchange Online integrated with Skype for Business Online
- A user mailbox on Exchange Online integrated with Lync Server 2013 on-premises
- In this configuration, directory synchronization isn't required. However, we recommend it.
- This configuration is partly supported. See the "More Information" section.
- A user mailbox on Exchange Online integrated with Skype for Business Online through a Lync Server 2013 hybrid deployment
- Directory synchronization and single sign-on (SSO) are required as part of setting up a Lync hybrid deployment.
- Connectivity with Exchange Web Services (EWS) provides the following functionality:
- Outlook integration
- OOF messages
- Conversation history
- High resolution contact photos
- Unified contact store
- Outlook Web App instant messaging (IM) and presence.
- Outlook Web App online meeting scheduling.
- Configure the Domain Name System (DNS) records for Lync federation and Lync client discovery so that Microsoft Outlook Web App can determine where the user’s Lync server is located.
Important Stop here if you're using only Exchange Online integrated with Skype for Business Online. The following steps apply only if you’re using on-premises Lync or Exchange resources.
- Make sure that Exchange Online has access to the user’s Lync SIP address. Exchange uses the Active Directory ProxyAddresses attribute to determine the user’s Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) address. If the attribute doesn’t contain the user’s SIP address, Outlook Web App won't be able to connect.
- Make sure that Lync has access to the user’s Exchange email address. After you confirm this step, connectivity with EWS should begin to work.
- Configure a shared SIP address space. This integrates on-premises Lync Server 2013 with Exchange Online. The same SIP domain address space is supported by both Lync Server and the Exchange Online service.
- Add a hosting provider. Lync Server has to trust the connection attempt from the Exchange Online Access Edge. After this step is complete, IM and presence should begin to work in Exchange Server 2013 Outlook Web App.
- Add trusted applications.
Note This step applies to Exchange Online only or to Exchange hybrid customers who are trying to integrate with Lync Server 2013 or Lync hybrid deployments.
- In a Lync Server 2013 or Lync hybrid deployment, make sure that the on-premises Lync Server trusts the Office 365 authentication service. After this last step is complete, the Outlook Web App in Exchange Server 2013 will display the Online Meeting link when scheduling a meeting in OWA.
|Lync and Exchange integration features||Outlook integration (EWS, MAPI)||Outlook Web App integration (IM/P)||Outlook Web App online meetings (scheduling)||Unified Contact Store||High-resolution contact photos|
|Skype for Business Online only||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Lync Server 2013 only||Supported||Supported||Supported||Not supported||Supported|
|Lync Server 2013 hybrid deployment with Skype for Business Online||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported*||Supported|
The following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles will help you troubleshoot specific features of Exchange and Lync integration. If you’re still having problems with any specific feature after you follow the steps in this article, see the appropriate articles in this section for more information.
Integration with Outlook and Exchange Web Services
- 2436962 "There was a problem connecting to Microsoft Office Outlook. The email address used in your default Outlook profile is different" error message when you sign in to Skype for Business Online
- 2787614 Conversation history, contact cards, Free/Busy, and Out of Office information are unavailable when Lync fails to connect to Exchange
- 2298541 You’re repeatedly prompted for Exchange credentials after you sign in to Lync
Exchange Unified Contact Store and the Lync contact list
- 2859882 The Skype for Business Online contact list is empty or isn't available for users who have Exchange Online mailboxes
- 2435699 Contacts in Skype for Business Online appear offline or aren't searchable in the address book
- 2811654 Lync contact list is empty or read-only after a user's Exchange mailbox is disconnected, unlicensed, or moved
- 2757458 Users are unable to modify their contact lists in Lync 2010 and Lync for Mac 2011
Exchange high-resolution contact photos in Lync
- 2497721 User contact photos in Lync aren't displayed correctly
- 2860366 You can't upload a photo from Lync 2013 to Skype for Business Online
Instant messaging and online meeting scheduling in Outlook Web App
- 2565604 Can't schedule Skype for Business Online meetings, see presence info, or send IMs from Outlook Web App in Office 365