- You install an instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 on a server that has instances of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installed.
Note Some or all of the old instances are running at the installation time.
- You try to perform a Virtual Backup Device Interface (VDI) backup of SQL Server 2005 or of SQL Server 2008.
<Error Time> Backup Cannot open backup device '<Folder Location>'. Operating system error 0x80770006 (failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).
When you install SQL Server 2008 R2, the on-disk copies of Sqlvdi.dll file in SQL Server 2005 or in SQL Server 2008 are overwritten by the Sqlvdi.dll file in SQL Server 2008 R2. However, the old version of the Sqlvdi.dll file remains in the memory when the instances are running during the installation.
- Stop all instances of SQL Server on the server.
- Install SQL Server 2008 R2.
- Restart the instances of SQL Server that you stopped.
Download the SQL Server 2005 Virtual Backup Device Interface (VDI) Specification package now. For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 2618570 - Last Review: Sep 26, 2012 - Revision: 1