IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Method 1: Maximize the Word Program
- Right-click the Word program button that appears on the Windows taskbar, and then click Maximize on the shortcut menu.
- If the Word program window appears, click Exit on the File menu.
- Restart Microsoft Word.
Method 2: Use the Move Feature in Windows to Reposition the Word Program into View
- Click the Word program button on the Windows taskbar.
- Right-click the Word program button on the taskbar, and then click Move on the shortcut menu.
- Using the mouse, point to the middle of the screen.
- Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the program window to a viewable area on the screen.
- Press ENTER.
- Resize the window if necessary.
Method 3: Remove the Data Key That Stores the Windows CoordinatesWARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Right-click the Word program button on the Windows taskbar, and then click Close on the shortcut menu.
NOTE: If Close is not available, click Maximize, and then quit the program.
- Quit all other running programs.
- Click Start and then point to Run. In the Open box, type Regedit and then click OK.
- Select the registry key that corresponds to the version of Word that you are using:
- Microsoft Office Word 2007HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
- Microsoft Word 2003HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data
- Microsoft Word 2000HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- On the Registry menu, click Export.
- In the File name box, type a file name.
- In the Save in box, click to select Desktop, and then click Save.
- With the Data key selected, click Delete on the Edit menu.
- On the Registry menu, click Exit to quit the Windows Registry Editor.
- Start Microsoft Word.
Article ID: 264299 - Last Review: Mar 23, 2007 - Revision: 1