The backup operation stops and reports the failure to the client application that requested the backup.
Here are two examples:
In these examples, the messages 3043 and 18204 provide the specific reason for the failure. To resolve the underlying problem, you must examine those messages carefully.
Things to consider when you troubleshoot the 3041 message:
- Does the problem occur for just one database or for all databases?
- Is the backup taken to local storage or to remote storage?
- What kind of backup (database backup, log backup, differential backup) is failing?
- What is the application (SQL Server Agent job, SQL Maintenance plan, or VDI/VSS backup agents from backup software vendors) that is performing the backup?
- What are the options that are used for the backup command?
- What is the account under which SQL Server is running, and does this account have the required access to the target location to write files?
|Rule software||Rule title||Rule description||Product versions against which the rule is evaluated|
|System Center Advisor||SQL Server has encountered a backup error: Msg 3041||System Center Advisor determines whether this instance of SQL Server reported any 3041 error. Review the details that are provided in the “Information Collected” section of the advisor alert, and resolve the problem as discussed in this article.||SQL Server 2008|
SQL Server 2008 R2
Article ID: 2646329 - Last Review: Dec 12, 2011 - Revision: 1