When you open a file or send an email message in Microsoft Outlook 2010 or later versions, Outlook freezes, or you receive the following error message:
Outlook not responding
This problem occurs for one or more of the following reasons:
- You have not installed the latest updates.
- Outlook is in use by another process.
- Outlook is loading external content, such as images in an email message.
- A previously installed add-in is interfering with Outlook.
- Your mailboxes are too large.
- Your AppData folder is redirected to a network location.
- You have to repair your Office programs.
- Outlook data files have become corrupted or damaged.
- Your installed antivirus software is outdated, or it conflicts with Outlook.
- Your user profile has become corrupted.
- Another program conflicts with Outlook.
If the information in this Knowledge Base article does not help resolve your problem in Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2010, see the following resources for more information:
More Microsoft online articlesPerform a search to find more online articles about this specific error
Help from the Microsoft Community onlineVisit the Microsoft Community online to post your question about this error
Contact Microsoft supportFind the appropriate phone number to contact Microsoft Support
Article ID: 2652320 - Last Review: Mar 22, 2016 - Revision: 1