- You insert a Microsoft Office Project 2007 project file (*.mpp) as an OLE object into a Word document using Insert | Object.
- From the Insert Object dialog, you chose the Display As Icon option so the project displays as an icon in the Word document.
- You double-click the embedded object to display it. It will open externally in Microsoft Project 2007.
- You close the main Project window, or you select the "Close and Return to 'Microsoft Word'" item from the File menu.
- The embedded project is the only open project document at the time.
This action cannot be completed because the [DocumentName] application ([DocumentName] - Microsoft Word) is busy. Choose "Switch To" to activate [DocumentName] and correct the problem.
If you press the Switch To button, Word will display but is not actually busy. If you press Cancel, the dialog will go away and come back again.
The issue only occurs if the OLE object is shown externally in Project and not when shown in-place active (the default for most OLE objects). It also does not happen with every OLE container, nor is it guaranteed to happen for those containers that see the problem every single time in exactly the same manner. The condition causing the re-entrancy is asynchronous.
You can also manually avoid the problem by closing the MPP document window first, then closing the Project application window after the document window is already closed. You can do this by clicking on the small X under the titlebar rather than the large X in the titlebar.
If you do encounter the Server Busy dialog, you can press Cancel and repeat that process a few times. Project will eventually break out of the deadlock and close if you cancel the pending calls.
- Start Microsoft Word 2007 and create a new document.
- From the Insert tab, choose Object.
- In the Insert Object dialog, choose the "Create from File" tab, check the "Display as Icon" option, and then browse to a local *.MPP file. Press OK to insert a copy of the file as an embedded object.
- Ensure Microsoft Project 2007 is not currently open or running.
- Double-click the embedded MPP file you inserted into Word. This will automatically start Project and display the MPP document in Project's main application window.
- From Project's main window, choose File | Close and Return to 'Microsoft Word'.
Result: The project document will close, but Project's main application window stays running. After a few moments, you will see the (OLE) Server Busy dialog mentioned in the Symptoms section.