In this scenario, when you start Outlook, you receive the following error:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:control panelNote If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, double-click View 32-bit Control Panel in Control Panel to display the Mail icon.
- Open the Mail Setup dialog box:
For Windows 7:
- If Control Panel is in either Large icons or Small icons view, click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
- If Control Panel is in Category view, under View by, click to select either Large icons or Small icons, and then click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
- If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
- If Control Panel is in Category View, under Control Panel, click Switch to Classic View for Windows XP, or click Classic View for Windows Vista, and then double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.
- In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
- Select your current Outlook profile, and then click Properties.
- In the Mail Setup - profile name dialog box, click Data Files.
- In the Account Settings dialog box, click the Data Files tab.
- Select an Outlook Data File. Outlook Data Files have .pst extensions.
- Click the Set as Default button.
- Click Close.
- Start Outlook.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
For information about how to contact any of the companies mentioned in this article, visit the following Microsoft website:
Article ID: 2668932 - Last Review: Mar 14, 2012 - Revision: 1