Consider the following scenario. You have an approval workflow on a Microsoft SharePoint document library or on a SharePoint list. The workflow is started, all approvers complete their tasks, and the item is approved. In this scenario, you experience one of the following issues:
- The workflow remains in progress.
- When you start the workflow, you receive the following error message:Access Denied.
This issue can be caused by the workflow configuration. For example, this issue may occur when the workflow is configured as follows:
- The Content Approval setting is enabled for the document library or for the list.
- The Start this workflow when an item is changed setting is enabled for the workflow.
- The Update the approval status after the workflow is completed setting is enabled for the workflow.
- A new item or a new document is added to the library.
- The workflow is started manually or automatically.
- Approvers approve the item.
- The Content Approval status is updated. (This action causes the item to be changed.)
- The workflow is restarted.
Article ID: 2691467 - Last Review: Mar 20, 2013 - Revision: 1