These tracks are normally created after the video content has been arranged on the Storyboard or Timeline.
To create a narration track in Windows Movie Maker, follow these steps:
- Make sure the project is in Timeline view. To switch to Timeline view, click Timeline on the View menu.
- On the File menu, click Record Narration.
The Record Narration Track dialog box opens.
- Make sure that the correct device is selected and that a microphone is attached.
- To test your microphone, speak into it and watch the VU meter. A good level registers in the green and only occasionally in the yellow. Raise or lower the level with the slider located to the left of the VU meter.
- If your video has a prerecorded soundtrack, it may be necessary to mute the soundtrack by clicking the Mute video soundtrack check box.
This prevents the sound from the speakers from being recorded again in the narration.
- Click Record.
While Movie Maker is recording the narration, you can preview the Timeline in the Monitor area.
- Click Stop. Movie Maker prompts you to save your narration track. After you have saved the narration track it is automatically added to the Audio/Soundtrack portion of the Timeline.
The narration track can be split and trimmed in the same manner as any other clip.
For more information on creating a narration track see "To record narration" in the Windows Movie Maker Help file.
Article ID: 272954 - Last Review: Jan 29, 2007 - Revision: 1