In previous versions of Microsoft Windows running Internet Information Services (IIS), the aspnet_regiis -I command could be used to install the ASP.NET feature. Starting in Windows 8, the following problems may occur when trying to install ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis:
- If you run aspnet_regiis -I to install ASP.NET 4.5 on IIS8, an error message similar to the following will be displayed:This option is not supported on this version of the operating system. Administrators should instead install/uninstall ASP.NET 4.5 with IIS8 using the "Turn Windows Features On/Off" dialog, the Server Manager management tool, or the dism.exe command line tool. For more details please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=216771.
- If you have an application that uses setup projects to install an application on IIS, the installation will fail to enable ASP.NET 4.5 and the application may fail to install.
- If you install an application on Windows 8 that attempts to install ASP.NET 4.5 using aspnet_regiis -I, the application will fail to enable ASP.NET 4.5.
The Aspnet_regiis.exe utility is no longer used for installing and uninstalling ASP.NET 4.5 on Windows 8. ASP.NET 4.5 is now a Windows component and can be installed and uninstalled just like any other Windows component.
To install or uninstall ASP.NET 4.5 on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, use one of the following options:
- Run the following command from an administrative command prompt: dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:IIS-ASPNET45
- For Windows 8 client computers, turn on "IIS-ASPNET45" in "Turn Windows Features On/Off" under "Internet Information Services-> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> ASP.NET 4.5".
- For Windows Server 2012 computers, enable "IIS-ASPNET45" using Server Manager, under "Web Server (IIS) -> Web Server ->Application Development -> ASP.NET 4.5".