NOTE Fully-featured, updated versions of Microsoft Office 2010, such as Office Home and Student 2010, Home and Business 2010, and Professional 2010, do not have any compatibility issues with Windows 8.
To verify if Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is already installed before completing your upgrade to Windows 8, go to Control Panel and choose Programs and Features. Search through the list of installed programs and look for these three items: Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010, and Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English.
IMPORTANT The Microsoft Office 2010 item only appears on a Windows 7 PC that has Microsoft Office Starter 2010. It is used to install Office Starter 2010 and is NOT the full-featured version of Office 2010.
If Microsoft Office 2010 is the only item in your list (the item in the green box in the image), follow the steps in Option 1.
If Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010, and Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English are all on your list (the items in both the green and red boxes in the image), follow the steps in Option 2.
NOTE If you can't find Microsoft Office 2010 on your list, Microsoft Office Starter 2010 did not come with your Windows 7 PC and this article does not apply to you.
Option 1: Install Microsoft Office Starter plus the required updateTo install and update Microsoft Office Starter 2010, follow these steps:
- Find and double-click the shortcut called Microsoft Office 2010 in the Windows Start menu.
- Click the Use button, and then click Open.
- Once the install is complete, download and install this required Click-to-Run update.
- You can now upgrade your Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.
Option 2: Install the required updateMicrosoft Office Starter 2010 is already installed on the Windows 7 PC but it may not be updated. Download and install this required Click-to-Run update first before you upgrade your Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.
- Go to Control Panel and choose Programs and Features.
- Search through the list of installed programs and find the Microsoft Office 2010 item.
- Click the item and then click Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstall.
- Once the option to install Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is removed from the PC, upgrade your Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.
Article ID: 2742694 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4