- You create a workbook (workbook A) and save it as an .xlsx file in Microsoft Excel.
- You create a defined name under the Formulas tab that refers to a three-dimensional reference.
- You save workbook A.
- You create another workbook (workbook B) and save it as an .xlsx file.
- You add an external reference link to the defined name in workbook A.
- You save workbook B, you close both workbooks, and then you open workbook B again.
- You update external reference links when you are prompted to do this.
- Save workbook A and workbook B as .xlsb files.
- Do not add an external reference link to a defined name that refers to a 3-D reference in workbook B.
Article ID: 2755120 - Last Review: Sep 23, 2015 - Revision: 1